The best USB-C hubs are now a vital part of any computer setup. Unlike before when they used to be a boon mostly for creatives and professionals, they’re now a necessity to general consumers. Unfortunately, having to carry more accessories is the ironic side-effect of trying to keep laptops thinner, lighter and more minimalist.
With more laptops keeping things compact while making good use of the faster and more universally compatible USB-C port, the best USB-C hubs are more important than ever. After all, most people still use peripherals that utilize USB Type-A, HDMI and other older connections. And, USB-C hubs are the ideal solutions for connecting such peripherals and devices to your laptop without hassle.
So, it’s definitely a good idea to invest in an excellent USB-C adapter, whether you plan on picking up a laptop that only utilizes USB-C like a MacBook Pro 13-inch or a Dell XPS 13, or you already have. To help you, here are the best USB-C hubs and adapters for 2020.
USB C hub dual HDMI porteven with a small USB Type-C hub, you can change how your device is used entirely when you give it some necessary ports. Microsoft just unveiled a ton of Surface products, including the Surface USB-C Travel Hub, which offers one USB Type-C port, one USB Type-A port, an Ethernet port, an and a VGA port all for $99.
What is the best USB Type-C hub?
We feel your pain. Perhaps you've got a laptop that's lacking the bigger ports you're used to, including the widely popular USB type-A port, USB C hub dual HDMI, Ethernet and more. But don't worry, you're not stuck with all just USB Type-C ports for the rest of your life -- that's why there are USB-C hubs. The best USB-C hubs should have all the ports you desire while still being portable enough to lug around. And of course, it should work well and you should be satisfied with its performance.
We highly recommend the Dell DA300 6-in-1 USB-C hub as the best USB type-C hub. This Dell product is perfect for those seeking a USB type-C hub that is both aesthetically pleasing and high performing. We love the Dell DA300 for its portability and small footprint -- its circular shape and retractable cable are some of its eye-catching, head-turning features.
The Dell DA300 6-in-1 USB-C hub sports an HDMI port, a VGA port, a DisplayPort, an RJ45 Ethernet port, a USB Type-C port and a USB 3.1 port. So yes, it has a wide variety of ports. Think of all the peripherals and monitors you could hook up to this thing! Overall, it's a great USB-C hub to take on the go, as long as you're okay with the price.
Here are the best USB Type-C hubs
- Dell DA300 6-in-1 USB-C Hub
- Kingston Nucleum USB-C Hub
- Landhoo 5 in 1 USB Type-C Hub
- HooToo USB C Adapter 3.1
- Anker 4-Port USB-C to USB 3.0
- Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock
- Atolla 4-in-1 USB Type C Hub
- Euasoo 9-in-1 USB-C Hub
- LENTION 4-in-1 USB-C Hub with USB 3.0
- The Dell DA300 is one of the smallest and most portable USB-C hubs that I've seen, thanks to its circular shape and retractable cable. It features an USB C hub dual HDMI port, a DisplayPort, a VGA port, an RJ45 Ethernet port, one USB Type-C port and one USB 3.1 port. It doesn't have the largest number of ports, but its wide-variety makes up for that. Overall, it's a great USB-C hub to take on the go, as long as you're okay with the price.
- The HooToo USB C Adapter 3.1 easy to see why this is a best-seller on Amazon. Pass-through charging, SD card readers, three USB 3.0 ports and USB C hub dual HDMI port HDMI out mean it has everything we look for in a Type-C hub. But unless you want those card readers, you're better off saving $25 and buying Aukey's squarish-puck hub, which packs one more USB 3.0 port.
- The Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock has four ports: one USB 3.1 port, an HDMI port, a DisplayPort and an RJ45 Ethernet port, which all functioned correctly. This dock allows you to enjoy fast Thunderbolt speeds and the luxury of two 4K extended displays, and it also has a slim design with a convenient tuck-away wire.
- However, the dock isn’t compatible with USB Type-C, so it’ll only connect to a Thunderbolt 3 port, and it doesn’t have a Type-C connector to replace the one that it’s taking up.
- The Elgato Thunderbolt Dock Utility app that it does offer is available for only macOS (it allows you to disconnect all storage devices at once and tells you when it's safe to disconnect the dock itself).
- It’s a little pricey for $149 (even when it’s on sale for $99), but overall, the Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock is a solid choice if you’re interested in connecting to high resolution displays.
- The Euasoo hub has a slim, sleek design with a plentiful amount of ports for a decent price. That includes a USB-C charging port, 3 USB 3.0 ports, a 4K USB C hub dual HDMI port, RJ45 port, MicroSD card slot, SD card slot and a headphone/mic jack.
- The spacing between the USB ports are enough so that connectors don’t touch, but its wire connecting to the laptop is annoyingly short. I also found that the audio jack was unreliable in producing sound through both left and right earphones, as the right ear would only produce sound if I held the cord a certain way and even the mic won’t work at all.
- You’ll be hard-pressed to find a deal on USB-C hubs better than Anker’s PowerExpand+ 7-in-1 USB-C Adapter. This portable hub pretty much has you set on all the ports you’ll need, including a 4K HDMI port and USB-C charging. That makes this an indispensable tool for creative professionals who need a variety of ports for their variety of devices. Best of all, it’s also incredibly lightweight at 99g, which makes it easy to slip into one of your laptop bag pockets without adding to the weight when you’re commuting or traveling. Of course, it also comes with Anker’s 18-month warranty so you can swap yours out if it stops working.